Technology Genre: Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, Computer vision, Emotion recognition, Facial analysis, Voice analytics, Emotion analytics
Affectiva is the pioneer in Emotion AI, the next frontier of artificial intelligence. Affectiva’s mission is to bring emotional intelligence to the digital world with our emotion recognition technology that senses and analyzes facial expressions and emotion. Affectiva is used by more than 1,400 brands to gather insight and analytics in consumer emotional engagement. Affectiva’s emotion recognition technology is used in many different industries including online education, healthcare, gaming, robotics, media and advertising, market research, automotive retail, human resources, training and coaching, video communication, experiential design, and in wearables and devices.
Technology Genre: 3D printing
Formlabs is a MIT Media Lab spin off that designs and manufactures desktop 3D printers , and is well known for raising nearly $3 million in a Kickstarter campaign and creating the Form 1 and Form 2 3D printers. Formlabs was officially founded in September of 2011 to develop an easy to use and affordable desktop stereolithography 3D printer. Formlabs received early seed funding from investors including Mitch Kapor , Joi Ito , and Eric Schmidt ’s Innovation Endeavors.
- Marcelo Coelho (MIT Media Lab) Fluid Interfaces Group; Pattie Maes, Advisor
Technology Genre: Wearable device for in-person social networking
Alike has successfully launched its first product: an electronic wristband that allows users to share their personal preferences and find others with similar interests at conferences, parties and events.
Alexis Hope (MIT Media Lab) Civic Media Group; Ethan Zuckerman, Advisor
Joe Goldbeck (MIT, Berkeley)
Technology Genre: Open publishing platform
FOLD makes it easy to tell complex stories. FOLD’s open publishing platform (fold.cm) allows writers to add multimedia “context cards” to narrative text. Built for explanatory content, FOLD is used by journalists, educators, and organizations around the world.
Amino Labs Inc.
- Julie Legault (MIT Media Lab) Playful Systems Group; Kevin Slavin, Advisor
Technology Genre: Individual-scale bioengineering
Amino Labs is making science accessible to everyone . The first product is the Amino One, a desktop platform that enables anyone to grow living cells to create new and interesting things - like fragrances, flavours, materials, medicine, and more. To get you started, The Amino One ships with The Amino Artist App - your own ready-to-engineer fluorescent pigments to paint and draw with.
- Dustin Smith (MIT Media Lab) Software Agents Group; Henry Lieberman, Advisor
- Cameron Levy (MIT Sloan)
Technology Genre: Recommendation software using natural language processing and machine learning techniques
Your personal tech job hunter - Beansprock evaluates the thousands of job openings posted every day, determines your match with the role and the company, and only delivers the best matches to you.
Changing Environments Inc. DBA Soofa
- Sandra Richter (MIT Media Lab) Changing Places Group, Kent Larson
- Nan Zhao (MIT Media Lab) Responsive Environments, Joseph Paradiso
- Jutta Friedrichs (Harvard GSD)
Technology genre: CE leverages great industrial design, innovative business strategy and advanced technology to create social, smart and sustainable urban environments.
CE has successfully launched the first product, called Soofa - a smart urban furniture powered by solar energy. City dwellers can charge their electronic devices while sitting in the park, waiting for a bus, or working. A Soofa activates space, gets attention and collects data.
- Nan-Wei Gong (MIT Media Lab) Responsive Environments Group; Joe Paradiso, Advisor
Technology Genre: Low-cost surface sensing technology that enables novel gestural interfaces on everyday devices
Anticipated First Application: A wireless gestural sensing platform for expressive music effect control on the surface of existing instruments.
- Arlene Ducao (MIT Media Lab) Information Ecology Group; Henry Holtzman, Advisor
- Ilias Koen (School of Visual Arts, NYC)
Technology Genre: a system including EEG feedback, data logging and signal processing that indicates and geo-locates occurrences of human conditions such as comfort, calm, stimulation, and stress
Anticipated First Application: bike helmet with on-board lights showing comfort/stress levels with a GPS system for crowd-sourcing and sharing urban locations where the mental states are encountered
- Hasier Larrea (MIT Media Lab) Changing Places Group, Kent Larson
- Chad Bean (MIT Media Lab) Changing Places Group, Kent Larson
- Carlos Rubio (MIT Media Lab) Changing Places Group, Kent Larson
- Ivan Fernandez de Casadevante (MIT Media Lab) Changing Places Group, Kent Larson
- Kent Larson (MIT Media Lab) Changing Places Group
Technology genre: Architectural Robotics
MorphLab aims to disrupt traditional residential rental real estate by offering a suite of modular transformable solutions that optimize square footage and can be deployed in both existing buildings and new construction.
- Grace Woo (MIT Media Lab) Viral Spaces Group; Andrew Lippman, Advisor
- Szymon Jakubczak (MIT CSAIL)
Technology Genre: a means for embedding encoded information in visual media that is not observable via human vision, retrieving it with ordinary digital cameras for enhancing communication, enabling fast transactions
Anticipated First Application: Privacy-aware camera input app that allows users to control how ephemeral pictures are analyzed and stored.
Founder: Leonardo Bonanni (MIT Media Lab) Tangible Media Group; Hiroshi Ishii, Advisor
Technology Genre: Supply Chain Social Network
Enterprise software to map end-to-end supply chains, collect data from suppliers and sub-suppliers, and optimize lead time/cost/service/sustainability.
Tulip Interfaces Inc.
- Natan Linder (MIT Media Lab) Fluid Interfaces Group; Patti Maes, Advisor
- Rony Kubat (MIT Media Lab) Fluid Interfaces Group; Patti Maes, Advisor
Technology Genre: Digital Manufacturing Systems
Manufacturing IT is in the pre-internet era. Tulip is a new breed of Digital Manufacturing System: transforming manufacturing operations by enabling enterprises to integrate virtually any sensor with existing equipment on the shop floor to collect data and provide insights into each step of the manufacturing process. Tulip’s web-native, people-centric platform and intuitive user interface give manufacturers access to previously unobtainable production insights that dramatically impact the bottom line.
- Dawei Shen (MIT Media Lab) Viral Communications Group, Andrew Lippman, Advisor
- Phil Salesses (MIT Media Lab) Macro Connections Group, Cesar Hidalgo, Advisor
- Haowei Zhang (Former VP of Product Marketing, Ambarella, Immedia)
- Michael Schmidt (Harvard Business School)
Technology Genre: An intelligent camera system capable of sensing its environment and merging data with video to create compelling visual experiences
First Application: A performance camera system designed for car enthusiasts that records their driving experiences and generates content-rich video.
- Ali Kamil (MIT Media Lab) Human Dynamics Group, Sandy Pentland, Advisor
- Chazz Sims (MIT Media Lab) Human Dynamics Group, Sandy Pentland, Advisor
- Layla Shaikley (MIT SA+P, Media Lab)
- Jemel Derbali (Harvard)
Technology Genre: Wise Systems provides enterprise software to help companies make real-time delivery decisions.
First Application: Wise provides a mobile and web application to help delivery fleets optimally schedule routes and adjust them in real-time as circumstances change.